Can dogs eat blueberries?

In general, blueberries make an excellent snack choice for most dogs and puppies. They are bite-sized superfoods with numerous health benefits.

However, always consult your veterinarian before introducing any new food to your dog, especially “human food.” What may be okay for one dog might be harmful to another, depending on factors such as their age, health history, current health condition, and diet.

Are blueberries beneficial for dogs?

Blueberries are a safe fruit for dogs to eat, and they offer many nutritional benefits. Blueberries are known for their antioxidant properties and are rich in phytochemicals that can help combat diseases like cancer and heart disease. They also provide antioxidants and vitamin C.

Blueberries are low in calories and high in fibre. They help prevent cell damage, can improve night vision, and may even help promote cognitive function in senior pets. Here is a list of vitamins and minerals found in blueberries:

Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Magnesium

Are blueberries harmful to dogs?

Generally, no. Blueberries are generally good for most dogs. However, if your dog has diabetes, food sensitivities, or is on a prescription diet to manage a health condition, it should not be fed high-sugar fruits like blueberries. There is also a potential choking hazard with blueberries, especially for small dogs or if you feed your dog frozen blueberries.

Even though blueberries are healthy, anything in excess can upset your dog’s stomach, especially when it comes to sugar. Organic blueberries are always best, but be sure to thoroughly wash them before feeding them to your dog.

Wild blueberries are also safe for dogs, but don’t let them eat too many. Also, make sure they are actually blueberries, as certain other wild berries can be toxic to dogs.

Can dogs eat blueberry muffins?

If you’re wondering about sharing your blueberry muffin, don’t. It’s not healthy for your dog. While dogs can eat blueberries, they shouldn’t consume the excess sugar and fat found in foods like muffins. Depending on the ingredients, muffins may contain toxic substances for your dogs, such as chocolate, xylitol, or nutmeg.

If your dog accidentally eats a small piece of a dropped blueberry muffin from the ground, it should be fine. However, if the muffin does contain any toxic ingredients for dogs, or if your dog happens to snatch a whole tray of muffins, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Can dogs eat blueberry yogurt?

Store-bought blueberry yogurt is also not suitable for your dog. It may have high sugar content, which can upset your dog’s stomach. Over time, excessive sugar can lead to obesity, diabetes, and dental issues.

Blueberry yogurt may also contain xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. Instead, try mixing a small amount of blueberries with plain, unsweetened, xylitol-free yogurt. Give your dog a tiny bit as a special treat.

If your dog eats blueberry yogurt and you know it contains xylitol, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Can dogs eat dried blueberries?

Dried blueberries are a healthy snack option for you and your dog. However, the best method is to dehydrate them at home using a dehydrator.

Store-bought dried blueberries often contain preservatives and have a high sugar content. This is unhealthy for your dog and may cause stomach problems. Check the nutritional information and ingredient list to see what additives are present in the fruit.

How many blueberries can dogs eat?

Even though blueberries are very healthy, they should only be given to dogs in small quantities. Any type of treat should only make up 10% of a dog’s overall diet, with the remaining 90% coming from balanced dog food.

Here are some general guidelines for feeding blueberries to your dog:

Extra Small Dogs (2-20 pounds) = 1-2 blueberries Examples: Yorkshire Terrier, Chihuahua, Pomeranian, Havanese

Small Dogs (21-30 pounds) = 2-3 blueberries Examples: Bichon Frise, Beagle, Miniature Australian Shepherd

Medium Dogs (31-50 pounds) = 3-5 blueberries Examples: Basset Hound, Border Collie, Australian Cattle Dog

Large Dogs (51-90 pounds) = 5-6 blueberries Examples: Bulldog, German Shepherd, Labrador Retriever, Australian Shepherd

Extra Large Dogs (91 pounds and above) = a small amount of blueberries Examples: Newfoundland, Bernese Mountain Dog, Saint Bernard, Great Pyrenees

If you’re concerned that your dog may have eaten too many blueberries, watch out for signs of stomach discomfort. If you notice any of the following symptoms, contact your veterinarian.

Check out our latest posts

What Behaviour Do Dogs Not Like?
For pet owners, their own dogs are undoubtedly the best source of …
How do you take care of a cat for beginners
Beginner's Guide to Cat Care Initial Days at the New Home The …